Strawberry Macarons and a Macaron Kit Giveaway! [Closed]
Today there's so much exciting news to share with you, I'm all giddy about it. Firstly, it's my birthday! I normally don't really care for birthdays, particularly my own, but I'm turning 25 and that's sort of a big deal, right?! A quarter of a century... Let's not think too much about it!!
Secondly, I've made heavenly strawberry macarons to celebrate this day. They're pink, lovely and delicious! I used a macaron mat making them, which made everything so much easier. And lastly, Silikomart and I wanted to give one reader the macaron kit as well. Joyful news!
The Silikomart macaron kit comes with a bright pink macaron mat, disposable piping bags and a manual/recipe guide. Because the circles are already formed on the mat, it made all of my macarons of the same, circular size. Normally, I draw circles on a piece of parchment which is incredibly tedious and time consuming to do. Plus, using disposable bags to pipe the batter means less cleaning up - always great!
I really recommend the macaron kit for someone who is still learning or a beginner at making macarons, as it omits a few tricky parts of the process. And macarons are challenging enough to bake; everything that makes it easier, is a winner in my book! I'll definitely keep using the macaron mat in the future when making macarons.
The cookbook 'Mad about Macarons' by Jill Colonna from Good Cook Publishing, was given to me by Silikomart. And the recipe I've made is inspired from the book!
Strawberry Macarons: I used the base recipe in the book from 'Mad about Macarons' and added strawberry jam and pink food coloring.
Ingredients for Macarons:
- 180g ground almonds
- 270g icing sugar
- 150g organic egg whites
- 100g fine caster sugar
- a tablespoon of strawberry powder (from dried strawberries) if you insist on having the cookies a strawberry flavor too
- Line three flat baking sheets with grease-proof paper and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites (at room temperature) to glossy firm peaks adding the caster sugar gradually. If making coloured macarons, then add a dash of colouring towards the end of mixing.
- Sift together your ground almonds with the icing sugar using a medium sieve and mix well.
- Incorporate the beaten egg whites into the dry ingredients using a large spatula. Mix well. (There is no need to “fold” the mixture.)
- Work on the mixture using a plastic scraper. Press down well with the scraper, going back and forward, to press out the oxygen from the whites. Do this for no more than 5 minutes until you have a smooth mixture. The result should fall like a “ribbon” off the scraper.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a plain 1cm round tip.
- Pipe out 3cm rounds, leaving a good space between each as they do spread out.
- Leave for about 30 minutes to set.
- While they are setting preheat the oven to 160°C fan setting. If you do not have a fan oven you may need to make the temperature slightly higher.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- When ready, leave on the baking tray until cool then scrape them all off carefully with a palette knife.
Strawberry Jam Buttercream filling:
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop pink food coloring
In a bowl with an electric mixer, pulse the strawberry jam. Add in butter and vanilla, and 1 cup of the sugar. Pulse until well combined. Add in small amounts the rest of the powdered sugar, pulsing after each addition, to reach the desired consistency. Add in food coloring. Frosting should be smooth and soft, yet hold its shape.
All you have to do is:
1. Leave a comment telling me which macaron-flavor you would love to bake.
A classic flavor? Or an exotic combination? I would love to hear your ideas.
2. For a second entry, 'Like' Paris Loves Pastry on Facebook, and state so
in your comment, even if you're already following us.
3. For another extra entry, become a public follower of Paris Loves Pastry on Blogger.
4. Extra entry: Follow me on Twitter!
5. Last extra entry, follow me on Instagram! Username: DanielleTdd
Don't forget to leave me your e-mail adress in the comment!
Giveaway closes on December 1st.
It is open to all countries.
Giveaway is closed!
And i would love to win this giveaway!
I'm allready following you on fb and blogger.
I prefer classic macarons
my e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Most importantly, have a very beautiful and happy birthday, may all your wishes come true now and always!! xox
question 1: i think i would love to try all kinds of flavour since i never try to make one ..i really wanna try to bake one!!
maybe a mix flavour or make 2 flacour in 1 macaron like chocolate n vanilla =)
qustion 2: done follow your page at facebook=)
question 3:done follow u at blog for a long time hehe..=)
question 4 n 5: sadly i never ever have twitter because im afraid i cant focus on my study hehe..n i dont have instagram cause i only use simple handphone..
n my email : email@example.com..
or u can contact me through my blog : http://nabilaazmi.blogspot.com
stay happy..n happy birthday !!=)..
I already followed you on instgram, blogger and facebook en just followed you on twitter!
My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
and congrats ofcourse! quart of a century, something to celebrate!
I follow you on Facebook and on Blogger. I'm not using Twitter that much and don't have Instagram.
I follow on Facebook and twitter (s_underfoot).
I agree with Silvinha, passion fruit all the way :D
I just liked you on fb! :)
ps: i already liked your fb *Skylure Templeton* and Twitter *kidcaella* and google friend *skylure genevieve*
I would love to make Cherry Blossom Macarons!! so delicious :D
I already follow you on Twitter and Instagram :)
I would like to bake classic Macaron flavours, but i would really really want to try making a pistacho-flavoured one. or a black sesame flavoured one. =)
Have liked you on facebook! and am following you on Blogger as well. Pity i don't have a twitter or instagram account though.
my email is: email@example.com
Haven't made macarons for ages.. I would like to make some right now.
I'm already following you in FB and Blogger!
Happy birthday! Yes, 25 is a big deal.
My email is Roman.c.moss(at)gmail (dot)com
email: fortabtiparis @ gmail . com
I liked you on FB.
I've been a follower of your blog for a while now. You bake really lovely things.
I also followed you on twitter.
Happy Birthday, to both of us! (I turned 24 on November 21st)
My email is sumaiyyahabidah [at] gmail [dot] com.
I HAVE BEEN A HUGE FAN OF YOUR BLOG SINCE A YEAR AGO AND HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING YOU ON FACEBOOK EVER SINCE TOO!
PICK ME, PICK ME! I'll make happy macarons with the kit too! <3
And my email (for the other entries too) is curiouscuisiniere (at) gmail (dot) com