"I never make them."
"Really? I thought you out of all people would try to cut back on desserts."
"Are you crazy?! What's the point of living if you can't have dessert?!"
A conversation between my co-worker and I after new year's day. I like not knowing what's ahead of you in a new year. After all, that's life... unexpected surprises; good and bad. But to me somethings will never change. Indulging in sweets and chocolate every day would be one of them. And with that in mind, I made these chocolate brownies.
These brownies are probably the cakiest kind you will ever come across. That's why the cream cheese topping stays put, even after baking. I love the ombre-effect from brown to beige, and the tiny chocolate swirls that shines through the cream cheese topping, can you see it? Good recipe, definitely a new family favorite. Though I should warn you if you're more sensible than me and made healthy new year's resolutions. Rating: 4 out 5.
Chocolate Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing: The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook - Allysa Torey & Jennifer Appel
- 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 9 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
Cream Cheese Topping:
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12 x 18-inch jelly roll pan.
- To prepare the cream cheese topping: In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese and the sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat well. Add the flour and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the brownie: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Lightly beat the eggs, then add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Add the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and mix until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Pour the cream cheese filling on top, make a swirl pattern using a small knife if you want.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of pan comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let the brownies cool completely.