Night-and-Day Cupcakes recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 2 scant tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- ¼ cup sugar
- scant ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup self-rising cake flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup very soft unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1 ⅓ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- juice of ½ lime or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 chocolate-coated coffee beans or bittersweet chocolate shavings (I omitted this)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix the cocoa to a paste with the boiling water and set aside while you make the cupcake mixture.
- This couldn't be easier: Just put the sugars, flour, eggs, and butter in the processor and blitz to combine smoothly. Scrape the mixture from the sides and then pulse while you add the cocoa paste, vanilla and milk down the funnel. You should have a batter with a soft dropping consistency: If not, add a little more milk. Dollop into the paper baking cups in the pan and bake for 20 minutes, until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove, in the paper baking cups, to a wire rack. When cool, make the frosting by beating together the sifted confectioners' sugar and cream cheese till soft. Add lime or lemon juice to taste and then spread roughly over the waiting cupcakes. Stud each one with a chocolate-coated coffee bean or shave over some bittersweet chocolate.