Chocolate Chip Scones recipe: adapted from AllRecipes.com's Grandma Johnson's Scones
Ingredients: makes about 8 large scones
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chocolate chips (if you don't want to use chocolate chips, I suggest you use something else, like raisins or berries, but don't omit this completely, I think they lack taste without something added)
- In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into several (about 8) triangles, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden brown.