My last recipe was 2 months ago. I was on a baking failure streak that lasted for months. I have thrown out so many bad recipes that resulted in bad food. I've thrown out a carrot cake, lemon - poppyseed cake, sugar cookies... the list goes on. This is the down-side of internet recipes; they are easy accessible but can be real failures!
I was seriously started to doubt internet recipes and myself as a baker when I stumbled upon a delicious looking lemon pie on Instagram. Can I just say that Instagram is the new Google?! I come across so much baking-inspiration through Instagram. This recipe is from a blog called "Live Well Bake Often".
It features a homemade Graham cracker crust, creamy lemon pie filling made out of condensed milk. I substituted the Graham crackers for Dutch bastonje-koeken, because Graham crackers are only available in the US. By the way, I'm hearing that some Dutchies have trouble finding condensed milk in Dutch grocery stores, but I always buy them at Albert Heijn. They have two kinds, and are usually found in foreign food sections.
This lemon pie is tangy and sour, yet sweet. The taste reminds me of a key lime pie. It's an overnight recipe, so it's great to make it for a dinner party. I'm taking it with me to work tomorrow because it's very filling and very large. I would say it feeds about 12 people.
I'm so happy it turned out great! I really needed a home-run recipe for my confidence. Also, I haven't made a pie recipe in years. The taste of the lemon pie reminds me of eating pies on my vacations in the States.
Taste: 5 out of 5
Consistency: 5 out of 5
Overall appeal: 5 out of 5
Lemon Pie: Live Well Bake Often
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) graham cracker crumbs, 11-12 full sheets of graham crackers
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
For the lemon pie filling:
- 1 cup (240 ml) fresh lemon juice (about 5 large lemons)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- Whipped topping or homemade whipped cream (I always use homemade whipped cream)
To make the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and all of the crumbs are moistened.
- Scoop the mixture into a 9-9.5 inch pie plate and firmly press it down into an even layer on the bottom and up around the sides of the dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes while you make the filling.
- Keep oven temperature at 350°F.
To make the lemon pie filling:
- Combine the lemon juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the filling into the slightly cooled graham cracker crust and spread it around into one even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes or until the top of the pie is set, the pie will still be jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature for about 2 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 5-6 hours or overnight. Once chilled, top with whipped cream, serve and enjoy!