No-Bake Lime Cheesecake
What's a baker without her oven? Michelangelo without a brush.
Well, maybe not quite. But that's the reason why I hadn't posted anything last month with Easter. My oven is broken. Not completely; I can still warm something up like a bread or something, but the delicate chemistry of baking a cake? Mais no! It's tragic. I'm forced to come up with no-bake desserts, which can be nice sometimes. I've made a tiramisu a dozen of times the last few weeks, and yesterday a no-bake cheesecake.
It's funny, when I look at all of the no-bake recipes I've posted before on this blog, they were all because my oven was broken. I'm contemplating buying a new oven, or waiting till we find a new house and then buy a really good oven. I hope we find a great house soon because I sure can't live without an oven. I refuse to buy a microwave to warm up food, so the oven gets used pretty much every day.
What's new with you readers? For me, I have some exciting things planned this year: in September I'm going to the big apple NYC, and in November I'll be spending my 30th birthday in Paris. I've booked a super large luxurious suite for the occasion. Oh, and I just bought tickets for Chris Rock's standup comedy tour 'Total Blackout' in Amsterdam in October. He is my all-time favorite comedian and I have been following him (and laughing my *ss off) for years. Yeah! So excited!
Anywho, on to this magnificent dessert: anything lime-flavored always reminds me of Florida. How I miss going to Orlando and Disney World and sampling many many key lime pies. Can someone take me back please?! This no-bake lime cheesecake (if you say it out loud, it rhymes) is a masterpiece! The texture, the flavor, the crust... all a perfect 10! Even my boyfriend loved it, and he is not a dessert-person at all.
Taste: 5 out of 5
Consistency: 5 out of 5
Overall appeal: 5- out of 5
Note: as you may know, I'm a vegetarian so it took a while to find a recipe that doesn't use gelatin for a no-bake lime cheesecake. I found this recipe from AllRecipes and it truly a great recipe!
No-Bake Lime Cheesecake: AllRecipes.co.uk
- 400g digestive biscuits, crushed (this makes a very thick crust, so I made half the crust recipe, about 250 grams of biscuits)
- 110g butter, melted
- 2 (200g) tubs cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar (I prefer to use confectioners' sugar in a no-bake cheesecake, about 1/2 cup)
- 2 limes, rind and juice ("rind" is English for "zest")
- 300ml double cream
- In a small bowl combine the crushed biscuits and melted butter together, press into a 23cm round loose bottomed cake tin and chill to firm up.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl beat cream cheese with the sugar, lime juice and zest until smooth and creamy. Now add the double cream and whisk until thick.
- Pour over the chilled base and smooth over. Chill in the fridge for 7 to 8 hours or overnight is even better.
- Once set, remove from the fridge then slice and serve. (I decorated the lime cheesecake with coconut flakes. The flavors go really well together)