Salted Caramel Blondies
"Salty and sweet, soft and chewy these easy to make salted caramel blondies are oozing with sticky caramel goodness. The perfect treat for any caramel lover!" ... is what I read when I spotted this recipe on Pinterest.
I quickly bookmarked the recipe and decided to save it for my study week, when I always crave something baked and sweet. I found the recipe on the blog Roxana's Home Baking. What really lured me into baking these was the dripping caramel sauce on top, it really was addictive! All you have to do is melt caramel candies/fudge with evaporated milk. I gave to various people and I got nothing but positive feedback. I'm sold! Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
Salted Caramel Blondies: Roxana's Home Baking
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 7 oz Kraft caramels (I used caramel fudge, worked just as well)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup diced cold butter
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- sea salt (optional)
- 4 oz caramels + 2 tablespoon evaporated milk (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 11x7" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl cream 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and vanilla extract. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add 1 cup of flour and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
- Spread the mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven without turning it off. Meanwhile make the filling.
- In a small saucepan combine the 7 oz caramel and 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour over the half baked crust. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- To make the top blondie layer place 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour in a food processor and pulse a couple of times. Crumble it over the caramel layer. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- As soon as you take the blondies out of the oven, sprinkle a pinch of salt on top (optional). Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares. Serve with more caramel sauce, if preferred.