Christmas Morning Muffins
So I'm testing recipes for Christmas, and I think I found the perfect luxurious muffins to serve on Christmas morning. We're all a bit hungover the day after Christmas right?! And the cure to a throbbing head is of course more alcohol!! Golden rum in this case. Though, sadly enough, you won't feel any of the alcohol because it's been baked. Then, to continue with the deliciousness, a sweet crumb topping to a perfect texture of a muffin :) So delicious! My new go-to muffin recipe: 5- out of 5.
Rum-Soaked Raisin Muffins with Crumb Topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup golden or dark rum
- Combine raisins and rum in a bowl and let them soak overnight. Drain them in the morning.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Stir in the rum/raisins.
Crumb topping recipe:
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs.
Assembling the muffins:
- With a tablespoon, pour batter in a paper-lined muffin pan 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle 3/4 tablespoon crumb topping on top.
- Put in preheated oven, bake for 15 - 20 minutes.