Are you watching the European Championship? My country (the Netherlands) played against my current-favorite-country (Denmark) and LOST! Is it bad that I was rooting for Denmark to win..? Wednesday the Netherlands will play against long-time-soccer-enemy Germany, so to show my support I made the angel food cake a bit Dutch-themed. The angel food cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries won the poll. How could it not? It is perfect for this time of year (and weather). Light, airy, fruity, creamy and yummy. What more could you want?
No but seriously, this cake is YUMMY! I never thought an angel food cake could have so much bite and flavor, since it's made without butter and relies on 13 egg whites. The whipped cream and strawberries complements the airy texture of the cake perfectly. I immediately wolved down two giant slices and this comes from a girl who rarely has seconds. This recipe is going in the 'cake hall of fame'! Rating: 5+ out of 5.
Angel Food Cake: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 13 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 ¼ cups superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Strawberries & cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place flour and salt in a sieve set over a bowl; sift into bowl, and set aside. With a mixer, beat egg whites on medium-high until foamy, about 1 minute. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Continue to beat, gradually adding sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla; beat to combine.
- Gently transfer egg-white mixture to a large, wide bowl. In four batches, using the sieve again, sift flour mixture over egg-white mixture. While turning the bowl, use a rubber spatula to fold in the mixture by cutting down the center and coming up the sides.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan with a removable bottom; smooth top. Cut a knife or small spatula through batter to release air bubbles. Bake until cake is golden and springs back when lightly pressed, 35 to 40 minutes. Invert pan; let cool in pan, 1 hour. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and around the tube to release cake, and unmold. Use knife to release cake from bottom of pan, and remove.
variations for the next poll!