Yes, I know I just made an apple tart last week, but this one is completely different, I promise! And anyway, as long as it's still Autumn, my apple-baking days aren't over. This recipe comes from NYC's Magnolia Bakery. Its secret lies in the magnificent topping; a hazelnut-brown sugar crumb topping. Allysa Torey, writer from 'The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook' writes: "This tart is a nice alternative to apple pie, and it makes a great dessert for a dinner party, especially if served with vanilla ice cream and perhaps some caramel sauce." and so that's what I did. Yum! Rating: 4+ out of 5.
Apple Tart with Hazelnut Brown Sugar Topping: The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook - Allysa Torey & Jennifer Appel
Ingredients for topping:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
For the filling:
- 3 cups thinly sliced tart apples
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crust:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Make the topping: In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the hazelnuts and, using your hands, toss until all the ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Make the filling: Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently until the fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and egg yolk, and mix well. Add the flour and baking powder, and beat until just combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball and on a lightly floured surface, roll it out to fit a 10-inch tart pan. Fit the dough into the pan and trim the edge flush with the rim of the pan.
- Transfer the fruit filling into the crust and sprinkle the brown sugar topping evenly over the fruit. Place the tart on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 to 2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature.