Sometimes I bake things that haunt me for the rest of the year. These things are usually the baked treats that score a 5 out of 5 and are eaten all-too-quickly. The recipe of which I adapted this from is one of them; the infamous Sour Cream Buns. I've been meaning to bake them more frequently (read: every day), but I don't think that eating 7 cinnamon buns a day would be very healthy. So, I've managed to wait at least a few months before making them again. And boy, were they good!! That beautiful texture of the bun paired with a crunchy cinnamon/cocoa filling and CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES!... *sighs*. Rating: of course a 5 out of 5.
Chocolate Cinnamon Buns: adapted from Sour Cream Buns
- 1 package (2 ¼ teaspoon) active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (105°F)
- 1 carton (8 oz) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons chocolate sprinkles
For the icing:
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, combine sour cream, granulated sugar, shortening, and salt. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until warm (120°F) and shortening is almost melted. Stir in baking soda. Stir sour cream mixture and egg into yeast. Stir in as much of the flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (3 to 5 minutes total). Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Grease twelve 2 ½ -inch muffin cups, set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle; spread with softened butter. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and cocoa powder; sprinkle cinnamon/cocoa mixture evenly over dough. Repeat with the chocolate sprinkles. Roll up, starting from a long side; seal seam. Slice into twelve 1 ½ -inch-wide pieces. Place each bun, cut side down, in a prepared muffin cup.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until ¼ to ½ inch above top of cups (about 45 minutes). Bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove buns from pan.
- Combine confectioners' sugar with cocoa powder and vanilla, and enough milk to make an icing, of drizzling consistency; drizzle over rolls. Serve warm.