“Making monkey bread lets kids do what they do best - play with their food - while they create something yummy.” I must be a kid then. Because I love getting my hands into food and I love creating something yummy, preferably something sweet! Naturellement, I loved making this. The yeast-scent of the bread, the cinnamon-sugar coating. It's one of those types of bread you can serve for breakfast/lunch/dessert and secretly snack in between those meals as well. Rating: 5- out of 5.
Monkey Bread: Martha Stewart Kids
Ingredients for bread:
- ¼ cup warm water
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus pinch for yeast
- ¾ cup milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons shortening, plus more for pan and bowl
- 1 package yeast
Ingredients for coating:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ cup nuts, chopped (I omitted the nuts, I prefer monkey bread nut-free)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup light-brown sugar
Ingredients for icing: (I omitted the glaze; as if monkey bread isn't sugary enough)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in small bowl; sprinkle yeast over top. Stir; let the yeast soften and dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Place shortening, warm milk, sugar, salt, and egg in mixer bowl. Grease Bundt pan and a medium bowl.
- Once yeast is dissolved and foamy, add it to mixer bowl; mix well with dough hook. Slowly add flour. Knead on medium-low 1 minute or by hand 5 minutes. Place in the greased bowl; cover with plastic. Set dough in warm place and let rest 20 minutes.
- Make coating: Put melted butter in a bowl. In another bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nut mixture in Bundt pan. Cut dough into ½-inch pieces. Roll into balls.
- Dip balls in butter, then roll in nut mixture; place in prepared Bundt pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan.
- Turn bread out of pan; cool 20 minutes on rack or plate.
- Make icing: In small bowl, stir milk into confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over bread.
or whatever you want to call it, it is delish!
looks so tempting!!