Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla Glaze: The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook - Allysa Torey & Jennifer Appel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil (preferably canola)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cups fresh blueberries, lightly coated with flour
Ingredients for Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the oil, sugar and eggs until light and thick, about 3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 1 hour. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the vanilla glaze: In the top of a double boiler, over barely simmering water, combine the sugar, cream and vanilla. Stir until the ingredients are well blended, about 2 minutes. Pour into a glass measuring cup and cover until ready to use. When the cake is completely cool, drizzle the glaze decoratively over the cake. Allow the glaze to set for 1 hour before slicing and serving the cake.