Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles: Jessica Seinfeld - Double Delicious
Ingredients: Makes 4 waffles
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- ½ cup carrot puree*
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
*For carrot puree: Peel, trim the ends, and cut into 3-inch chunks. Steam for 10 to 12 minutes. Use a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, with a few teaspoons of water, for a smooth texture.
- Preheat a waffle iron on high. In a large bowl or zipper-lock plastic bag, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, beat the oil, egg whites, buttermilk, carrot puree and banana with an electric mixer. Mix on low speed for 1 minute or until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined- the batter will be lumpy. Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle ⅛ to ¼ cup of the batter into each compartment of the iron. Cook until the top of the iron releases easily and the waffle is lightly brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.