Banana Cream Pie: MarthaStewart.com
- 1 Pate Brisee, use 1 disc and reserve remaining disc for another use (click here for recipe)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a 14-inch round (¼ inch thick). Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim dough to extend above edges by 1 inch, fold under, and crimp. Prick bottom with a fork, and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Cut a large round of parchment paper (about 11 inches), and place in pie shell, allowing excess to extend above edges. Fill with pie weights. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- Bake crust 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Remove pie weights and parchment, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Make the filling: Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add egg yolks, and whisk until smooth. Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ½ cup milk to yolk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour mixture into pan with hot milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and is very thick, about 6 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture through a large-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add butter, and stir until melted. Fold in bananas. Pour into crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Make the topping: Beat together cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over filling. Using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, shape topping into peaks.
banana custard in this dreamy pie.”
half of the pie. Not a bad thing, I assure you.