My Mother-in-law's Madeira Cake recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter (240g)
- ¾ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling (200g)
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ self-rising cake flour (210g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (90g)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (170ºC).
- Cream the butter and sugar, and add the lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of the flour for each. Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and, finally, the lemon juice. Sprinkle with sugar (about 2 tablespoons should do it) as it goes into the oven, and bake for 1 hour (I let mine bake for 45 minutes to keep it a little bit moist) or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool in the tin before turning out.
making it an ‘eat-all-day-long’ kind of cake.
I like to serve this cake sliced and sandwiched with some raspberry jam.