Crumb Cake Muffins recipe: MarthaStewart.com
Ingredients: Makes 12
- ½ cup rolled oats (I recommend old-fashioned)
- ¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger (used ¼ teasp ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nonfat buttermilk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, ginger, flour, and melted butter, and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the muffin tins with cooking spray, and set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Place buttermilk, applesauce, and vegetable oil in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Stir into flour mixture until well combined. Fold in egg whites.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons batter in each muffin tin. Sprinkle with a generous tablespoon of reserved topping; press gently to adhere topping to cake. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before serving.