Triple Chocolate Cupcakes recipe: adapted from 'Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes' by Trophy Cupcakes, via MarthaStewart.com
Ingrdients: Makes 24
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Sift 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix ingredients together on low speed.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water and stir to combine (with a spoon, not a mixer! it will splash around your kitchen). Add the chocolate chunks; set cake batter aside.
- Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with cake batter.
- Return to oven and bake, rotating pans halfway through baking, until tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer muffin tins to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely.
Milk Chocolate Frosting recipe:
- 1 ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 ½ ounces milk chocolate
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa; set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl above simmering water, melt the chocolate (or in a microwave). Add to confectioners' sugar mixture and add the remaining ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer for 1 minute, until a smooth frosting appears.