Totally Chocolate - Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe: Nigella Lawson - Nigella Express
- 4 ounces (125g) semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, cold
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Break the 4oz chocolate into pieces and place into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Place the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and two sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and stir well. Beat in the vanilla extract and crack in the egg, then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 12 equal portions of the mixture - an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job - and place onto a lined baking sheet about 2½ inches apart. Do not flatten them.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 18 minutes, then test with a skewer - it should come out semi-clean and not wet with batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again. Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
I'm starting the year with a BANG.