Banana Cake recipe: Elisa Strauss - Confetti Cakes
Ingredients: Makes three 9-inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 ¼ cup + 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ½ granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 very ripe bananas (I used 5 very large ones)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottoms and sides of the pan with melted butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the baking soda and flour. Set aside.
- Peel the bananas and mash them in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Set the mixer to low speed and add eggs, one at a time, scraping thoroughly between additions.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture in two batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions.
- Add the bananas and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans. Bake 1 hour (mine needed 50 minutes) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 20 minutes. Once the cake is cool, release it from its pan by running a metal spatula or knife between the sides of the pan. Flip the cake over onto another pan or cake board and peel away the layer of parchment.
Honey - Cinnamon Frosting recipe: Martha Stewart - Everyday Food
Ingredients: (double this recipe if making three 9-inch cakes)
- 1 ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar, unsalted butter, honey, and ground cinnamon until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.