Coca-Cola Cake recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt with 1/3 cup low-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ cup Coco-Cola
Ingredients for the icing:
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Coco-Cola
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and put in a baking sheet at the same time.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring cup. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola, heating gently. Pour into dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients, beating until everything is well blended.
- Pour into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with paper baking cups. And bake on the warm sheet for 20 to 25 minutes. The top of the cupcakes will be cracked. Leave to stand 15 minutes in the pan before unmolding.
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar and set aside for the moment. In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the butter, Coca-Cola and cocoa and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and spoon in the sifted sugar, beating as you do so, until you’ve got a good, spreadable, but still runny, icing. (I added a bit more confectioner’s sugar to create a thicker icing)
- You could buy those wine-gummy candies which look like miniature bottles of Coke and press one in top of each cupcake once the icing’s cooled a little before it has set hard.