Chocolate - Rum Cupcakes recipe: adapted from Nigella Lawson's Ghoul-Graveyard Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rum extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Put everything for the cake, except the buttermilk, into a food processor and blitz to mix. Remove the lid, scrape down with a rubber spatula and then put the lid back on and with the motor running, add the vinegary milk.
- (I don’t have a food processor so I mixed everything the old-fashioned way: (1) cream the butter and sugar, (2) add eggs one at a time, (3) then the rum extract, (4) combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl, (5) add half the flour mixture to butter/sugar/eggs mixture, (6) add the buttermilk, (7) add the rest of the flour mixture)
- Scrape, spoon or pour the brown batter into a cupcake tin, lined with papers, and bake for 20 – 22 minutes. Cool completely.
Buttercream Frosting recipe: for Red frosting.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Combine ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
White Frosting recipe: for White frosting.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening (not butter-flavored)
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add shortening, milk and salt and mix until combined. Then, add the light corn syrup and vanilla, and mix until well blended.