Aunt Marie Dillon's Praline Cookies recipe: Martha Stewart - Living
Ingredients: Makes 3 dozen
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream, plus more if necessary
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and broken into large pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 ½ cups light-brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until fully combined. Add dry ingredients, and beat on low speed until combined.
- Drop batter in rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until firm and barely golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies from pan to wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup light-brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add confectioners' sugar, and whisk until smooth. (If frosting thickens, thin with cream.) Add pecan pieces. Place cookies on a cooling rack over a lined baking pan. Spoon about ½ teaspoon praline mixture onto each cookie.