Key Lime Tarts recipe: adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 tart crust recipe (see recipe below)
- In a medium bowl, blend together condensed milk, lime juice and zest. Mix in egg yolks and whole egg. Pour mixture into pie or tart crust, then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Chill before serving.
Tart Dough recipe: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and confectioners’ sugar. Mix on low speed until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, and mix until incorporated, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add ¾ cup flour, and mix on low speed just until the flour is incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add remaining ¾ cup flour along with the salt and cream, and mix just until flour is no longer visible, about 1 minute.
- Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, and shape into a flattened disk. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours of overnight. The dough can be frozen up to 1 month; thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to an ½ inch thickness. With a sharp paring knife, cut out rounds of dough using a tartlet pan as a guide, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Fit the dough into tartlet pans, and lightly prick the bottom of the dough in each pan all over with a fork. Refrigerate tartlet shells until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. When tartlets are chilled, bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Pour lime mixture in tartlets, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Then, bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.