Breakfast Biscotti recipe: Nigella Lawson - Feast
- 1 egg
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- few drops almond extract
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup natural shelled almonds (I used sliced almonds)
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk the egg and sugar until pale and moussily thick; I use an electric mixer here, as you want the mixture whipped enough so that when you lift the whisk attachment out of it, you are left with a trail of ribbons. Beat in the vanilla and almonds extracts, and then slowly fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- When the batter's all combined, fold in the whole almonds and chocolate pieces, and then form the dough into a loaf-like log of about 10 × 2 inches, slightly tapering the ends.
- Lay the biscotti log on to a piece of baking parchment on a baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes: it will be a pale brown color. Leave for 5 minutes to harden slightly, and then cut diagonal slants of about ½ in thickness along the length of the loaf to give finger-like pieces.
- Put these back on to the parchment paper covered baking sheet and cook again for another 10 minutes, turn the biscotti over and then cook for another 5 minutes. Let the golden brown biscotti cool on a rack and then store them in an airtight container ready to be plucked and dunked at a moment's anticipatory notice.