Birthday Cake recipe: adapted from Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook & Nigella Lawson - Feast
Chocolate Cake recipe: Nigella Lawson - Feast >> Click Here
Yellow Cake recipe: adapted from Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans. Into a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour.
- Make Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Cake recipe.
- Spoon tablespoons of the yellow cake batter into a prepared cake pan, making sure it only covers one half of the pan. Do the same with the prepared chocolate cake batter. Repeat this process with the other prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake pulls away from the pan. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pan and let cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the tops of the cakes to make level. Place one layer on a cake plate, and spread top with 1 ½ cups Dark Chocolate Frosting. Place the other cake layer on top. Spread the entire cake with whipped cream.
Dark Chocolate Frosting recipe: adapted from Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- 400 grams semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- ¾ cup (1 ½ stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate has melted completely.
- Combine cocoa powder and boiling water; stir until cocoa is dissolved.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate. Beat in the cocoa mixture.
Other ingredients for decorating:
- 2 cups cream, whipped
- 20 glacé cherries