Pumpkin Bread recipe: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
Ingredients: Makes two 8½-by-4½-inch loaves, or six 6-by-2¾-inch miniloaves. (I halved it, and only made one loaf)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat pans with butter.
- In a large bowl, whish together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the pumpkin puree and both sugars; mix on medium speed until well combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs and oil; mix until incorporated, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. With mixer on low, add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour mixture, until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans; smooth the tops with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until a cake tester comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool completely.