Sugar Cookies recipe: adapted from AllRecipes.com's 'The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies'
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the flour mixture into the creamy butter/sugar/eggs-mixture. Roll dough into a flat disc. Cover with clingwrap, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface ¼ to ½ inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
Sugar Cookie Icing recipe: AllRecipes.com
- 1 cup confectionars' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I omit this if I want to make white icing)
- 3 tablespoons milk (use more if needed)
- Food coloring
In a small bowl, beat together confectionars's sugar, light corn syrup and vanilla. Add a tablespoon of milk one at a time, until icing is smooth and glossy.