Lemon Curd Cake recipe: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 recipes Lemon Curd (recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch cake pans; set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, combine sour cream with lemon zest and juice; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in four parts, alternating with the sour cream mixture and beginning and ending with the flour mixture; beat until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide batter between prepared pans, and smooth with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until cake are golden and pull away from the sides of pan, and a cake tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, trim tops of the cakes to make level. Slice each layer in half horizontally into two layers. (I didn’t do this, mine was a 2 layer cake, not 4) Place one of the bottom layers on a cake plate, and spread ½ cup Lemon Curd over the top. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and curd, leaving final cake layer uncoated. (I made white frosting and coated the cake)
Lemon Curd recipe: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
Makes 2 cups, you need to double this recipe for the Lemon Curd Cake.
- 8 large egg yolks
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 ¼ stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan; whisk to combine. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (be sure to scrape the sides of the pan), until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 8 to 10 minutes, and registers 160°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add salt and butter, one piece at a time, stirring until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled and set, at least 1 hour.