Jam-Doughnut Muffins recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
- 1 1/3 cups self-rising cake flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 7 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 teaspoons strawberry jam
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- With a fork, beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Stir this into the flour and 1/3 cup sugar to combine: the lumps don't matter and if you overbeat the muffins will be tough. Spoon the mixture into each muffin cup so that it's just under a third full. Then with a teaspoon add a dollup of strawberry jam, then top with more muffin mix so that the cases are just about full.
- Put them in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops feel springy and resistant and the muffins have puffed up into little toadstools.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter slowly in a thick-bottomed pan, and lay the remaining sugar (& cinnamon) out in a wide, shallow bowl. As soon as the muffins are ready, remove them from their cups, dip them in the butter, and roll them in the sugar. Eat warm.