Yellow Cupcakes recipe: Martha Stewart - Everyday Food
Ingredients: (makes about 14)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Butter the cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a liquid-measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk-vanilla mixture, then remaining dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (a 2-ounce or ¼-cup ice-cream scoop is good for this).
- Place tin on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in tin, then remove and cool completely on a rack before icing.
Buttercream Icing recipe: adapted from AllRecipes.com
Ingredients: Covers 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring
- Sift the confectioners's sugar into a medium bowl.
- Add the softened butter, milk and vanilla.
- Mix until the frosting has a slight dropping consistency. Add food coloring, one drop at a time, until you have the desired color.