Crème Brûlée French Toast recipe: AllRecipes.com
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey
- 6 slices white bread or challah (1-inch thick)
- 5 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy-based orange liqueur
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup or honey, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. (don't worry if the butterscotch will turn hard)
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer (I had two layers).
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half cream, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.