Shortbread Fingers recipe: Martha Stewart - Baking Handbook
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 12-by-8-inch bakingsheet and line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy on medium speed, 3 to 4 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar; continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed, until just incorporated.
- Using a small offset spatula, evenly spread dough in prepared baking sheet. Chill in the freezer or refrigerator until dough is firm, about 15 minutes.
- Prick dough all over with a fork. Bake until shortbread is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. (mine needed 55 minutes)
- Transfer to a wire rack and immediately sprinkle with granulated sugar. While still hot, cut shortbread into 4-by-1-inch pieces. Cool completely.