Cherry - Almond Loaf Cake recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
- 1 cup natural-colored glace cherries
- 1 2/3 cups self-rising cake flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 to 3 drops almond extract
- ½ cup ground almonds (I subsituted this for ½ cup cake flour and 2 extra drops almond extract)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Halve the cherries, wash them in a colander under cold water, then pat them dry, toss them in some flour, and shake well to get rid of excess.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs and almond extract, then gently fold in the remaining flour and ground almonds. Fold in the cherries, then the milk and spoon the thick mixture into a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan, lined and buttered.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave in the pan on a wire rack until completely cooled.