Giant Cheesecake Thumbprints recipe: adapted from Martha Stewart's 'Cheesecake Thumbprints' & Nigella Lawson's 'Cherry Cheesecake'
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Lightly whip the heavy cream, and then fold it into the cream cheese mixture. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt and egg yolk; beat to combine. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Shape tablespoons of dough into balls, and place on baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Using the lightly floured end of a thick wooden spoon handle, make an indentation of each ball. (I did this with 1 baking sheet, but I found it to be really unnecessary, when the cookies are fully baked they’ll still be soft, you can make an indentation then)
- Bake 10 minutes; remove from oven and make indentations again. Rotate sheets, return to oven and bake until edges of cookies begin to turn golden, 7 to 9 minutes more. (mine needed 10-11 minutes more) Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a teaspoon, fill the centre of each cookie with cream cheese filling, mounding it slightly.