French Pastry Pie Crust recipe: AllRecipes.com
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons water (I needed about 10 tablespoons)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar, and 5 tablespoons of water. Whisk together, then add gradually to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until dough forms a ball. Add one more tablespoon of water if necessary.
- Cover dough ball in a plastic wrap and allow dough to rest in refrigerator 10 minutes before rolling out.
Dutch Apple Pie recipe: adapted from AllRecips.com
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 5 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the apple slices with the warm filling, by using a spoon.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Gently pour the apple mixture in the pan, then cover with the second pie crust. Make sure the top crust has slits to let the steam escape.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350°F/175°C. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft and crust is golden brown.
- 5 minutes before end of baking, pour ½ cup heavy cream through slits of the top crust.