Yellow Cupcakes recipe: Martha Stewart - Everyday Food
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Butter the cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk-vanilla mixture, then remaining dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (a 2-ounce or ¼-cup ice-cream scoop is good for this).
- Place tin on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in tin, then remove and cool completely on a rack before icing.
Vanilla Cream recipe: Martha Stewart - Living
Ingredients: makes 1 ½ cup
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk yolks until smooth. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk in a slow, steady stream. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of milk mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thick, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Pass vanilla cream through a fine sieve into a bowl. Press plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
Chocolate Ganache recipe: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Warm with heavy cream, vanilla extract and butter with the chocolate, chopped into small pieces, and bring to the boil in a thick-bottomed saucepan, by which time the chocolate should have melted.
- Remove from the heat and whisk till smooth and thickened.
- Let cool a little before using, but you want it still runny enough to ice the cupcakes with.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the chocolate icing on top, letting it spread on the cupcakes.