Doughnut French Toast recipe: Nigella Lawson - Nigella Express
Ingredients: enough for 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup full-fat milk (I used regular milk)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 slices from a small white loaf or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
- 1-ounce butter, plus a drop flavourless oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup sugar
Strawberry Jam: optional, you can use store-bought jam
- 4 to 5 strawberries (15g)
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
- Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan/skillet, fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.
- Put the sugar onto a plate and then dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut.
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Process until the jam is smooth.
- Pour over the french toast.