Easy Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe: Nigella Lawson - Nigella.com
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 100g (1/2 cup) dark muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 175g (1 1/4 cup) self-raising flour
- 125ml (1/2 cup) full-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 200g chopped, rolled dates
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 200g (1 cup) dark muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 25g (1 ounce) unsalted butter, in little blobs
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water (I think 1 cup of boiling water is enough!)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and butter a 1 1/2-litre capacity pudding dish. (I don't have a pudding dish, so I used a pie-pan)
- Combine the dark muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar with the flour in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk into a measuring jug, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour this mixture over the sugar and flour, stirring – just with a wooden spoon – to combine.
- Fold in the dates then scrape into the prepared pudding dish. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look very full: it will do by the time it cooks.
- Sprinkle over 1 cup dark muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar and dot with the butter.
- Pour over the boiling water (yes really!) and transfer to the oven.
- Set the timer for 45 minutes, though you might find the pudding needs 5 or 10 minutes more. The top of the pudding should be springy and spongy when it’s cooked; underneath, the butter, dark muscovado sugar and boiling water will have turned into a rich, sticky sauce.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, crème fraîche, double or single cream as you wish. Serves 6 - 8.