Ingredients buttermilk cake:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose-flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (or 1/3 cup plain yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup low-fat milk)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cups soft unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
Ingredients praline icing:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (doesn't matter if you use light or dark, but dark brown will give the icing a richer color)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup confectionars' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Instructions buttermilk cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the buttermilk into a measuring cup and stir in the vanilla.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between additions.
- Add alternating increments of the flour mixture and the vanilla-buttermilk, blending well after each addition; this should tak 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour batter into a greased pan and bake for 40 minutes (30 minutes if using layer cake pans) until the cake is beginning to shrink away from the sides and a cake tester comes out clean.
- If using a mold with a lot of patterning, leave to cool for 20 minutes before unmolding.
Instructions praline icing:
- Combine the brown sugar, milk, cornsyrup, butter and salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour into a bowl and let it stand for 1 minute.
- Add confectionars' sugar and the vanilla, mix with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Pour over Bundt cake while it's still a little hot.